Sunday, February 04, 2007

Dream Rage

My Hypnagogic Memory Could Be Better

OK, here's how it is: I once saw a painting of the Jardin des Plantes. (I really couldn't tell you which Jardin des Plantes, but I would assume the Paris one.) I liked the picture. So, of course, I lost it. I can't remember the title, and I can't remember the artist's name. Annoying, but, you know, these things, they happen. Gravel along the roadside.

So, last night, I dreamt I was at an IKEA, and after buying a cheap misbound Rocky comic and a huge spool of strawberry cable I took to Wikipedia to while away the time waiting in line at the register (despite there being no line). Upon which I discovered the painter's name! I had just made a trivial misspelling, failing to duplicate a syllable. Then I woke up, and of course I can't remember the damn name anymore, but neither can I get the whole thing out of my head, now.
Whence this post; I turn to you, fellow Badgers and hypothetical other readers, for aid. Help me find the picture! Help me solve the riddle! (Of DOOM.) Some hints along the way, incidentally comprised of everything I know:

  • I don't know whether the name in the dream is the correct one, of course, but it started with an A and was pretty long.
  • The painting mainly depicts a tree-lined path leading down from a building, probably this one from a different angle, with amblers of a distinctly 19th/early 20th-century type on it. One of them is a woman with a parasol, I think. It's summer or early autumn. There may be a market or series of greenhouses on the left side.
  • I first saw the picture in an old puzzle-laying game for Windows 95.
  • The picture isn't Au Jardin des Plantes, by Henry Geoffroy, but I think the title is similar.
  • But it probably isn't, because Googling such-type stuff has availed me not at all.

Now help me out before my brain explodes, dammit, you arty gobs!

5 comments:

Insignia said...

You're not thinking of this painting by Jean-Baptiste Hilaire, are you?

- said...

I'm afraid not. The one I'm thinking of is in color, and the tree-lined path extends out toward the viewer from just right of the middle.
But thanks anyway!

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly sure that the game in question is Pandora's Box, as I recall a similar image in there (although I am not certain Pandora's Box was a Win95 game, it might be). I know we've got it back home, and I shall try to remember asking if anyone there knows the picture you speak of.

- said...

You're right, it is Pandora's Box. I think it was in one of the overlap puzzles.
We only ever had the demo, if that helps (though I doubt it)...

Anonymous said...

All I can find is a list of the titles for the puzzles in Pandora's Box, which has "La Jardin des Plantes". Of course, since the list is from gamefaqs, it might not be entirely reliable, and I cannot find a picture that seemed to fit with a google search.