Saturday, December 10, 2005

A Brief Miscellany

Performing Our Weblog Duties

This is a mad neat map of one of the Auld Londons. Post-fire, but at that resolution I'll take what I get. Note the church of Marylebone near the upper left corner.

Acquire a fine messaging client for the Mac here. It comes highly recommended by yours truly, courtesy of the estimable Mr. Fade.

Finally, I read this the other evening, and it creeped me the hell out. I have no idea why, looking back on it it seems inexplicable, but there you go. Still interesting, I think.
While I'm at it, I'm also depositing Everything2 in the sidebar, because it rocks monkeys. (Monkies?)

Oh, and Orisinal goes in the sidebar too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fine as Adium may be, it has among the ugliest logos I have ever encountered. That duck must die!

Johan Sandås said...

Adium also has ducky sound effects. If I was in the habit of communicating, they would probably annoy me.

Regarding the strange case of T. T. Craven, and the excellence of Everything2 (if I recall correctly, the subscript tag doesn't work in the comments. Why? Who knows?), the single most mystifying thing must be the link to the writeup about Dar Es Salaam in the link section at the bottom of the page. All of the other links seem to make some kind of sense, but what has Dar Es Salaam got to do with it? Who knows?

(As a footnote for my future biographers: I once was this close to applying for an internship at the Finnish embassy in Dar Es Salaam. This would, admittedly, be a lot more interesting if I'd actually done it, but future biographers have to work with what they've got)

- said...

Adium is extremely customizable, which is a large part of the whole point, and as such there are hundreds of replacement icons you can (and will, if there's any sense in you) download to be rid of the duck.
I, myself, have a very suave and aesthetically pleasing icon for it in my dock.
As sound infuriates me, furthermore, I turned all the noises off before ever hearing them. That too is thereby a non-issue.

I suppose the future biographers will have to name the Africa chapter »The hypothetical years in Dar Es Salaam« and write about what might have happened. (Salami, in all probability.) This will also provide for greater variety between biographers, and offer greater reading interest for those who have already perused one of the many volumes!
Unless, of course, you yourself are willing to step up and publish the definitive account of what you never did in Dar Es Salaam.

Insignia said...

I haven't been in Dar Es Salaam either. Wouldn't it be a strange coincidence if the things you never did there are the same things I didn't do? I think so!