Friday, May 27, 2005

Cooking Chronicles, Part 2

It has become obvious that I will eat beans today. I really should have suspected it last night, when I left a handful of dried red beans to soak overnight, but sometimes you need to take a step away from the thing you’re cooking in order to see it clearly.

I have begun my Quest for Bread. I have mixed equal amounts of flour and water (but a slightly more equal amount of flour. It seemed like a good idea) in a bowl and covered the bowl with a towel. Now I will let the gnomes do their work for about ten hours. In the meantime, I will do something with the beans. Preferably something that ends with me eating them. With garlic.

---

Educational footnote, blatantly stolen from the Oxford English Dictionary:


flour, n.

[A specific use of FLOWER; cf. F. fleur de farine the ‘flower’ or finest part of the meal.
Johnson 1755 does not separate the words, nor does he recognize the spelling flour. But Cruden's Concordance 1738 recognizes the modern distinction.]


Etymology wants to be free!

No comments: